This year’s conference took place at Whitehall College, Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire, and again provided an excellent opportunity for health advisers to present their work, learn and discuss, meet old and new colleagues and share ideas. It included regional workshops, a revamped AGM, and a “heated debate”, as well as a very high standard of presentations, workshops and posters.
The President of MSF, Brenda Warrington, gave the opening speech, and showed great interest and encouragement in the work of SHASTD and its members within the sexual health field.
The conference highlighted the skills, experience and qualities within health advising, and helped towards a greater awareness and understanding of the health adviser role, as well as a commitment to the development of the profession.
- A model for health advising practice – Jo Greenaway, George Leach, Simon Paragreen, Jane Sudlow, Dawn Whittaker
- Early Syphilis among heterosexual/lesbian group who attend a sauna for ‘stranger sex’ – Sheila Ogilvie
- Sexual Health Services – what do young people want? – Gill Hennebry
- Drug Rape – the challenge – Graham Rhodes
- Taking a Risk – the failure of sexual health strategies – Dr Eamonn O’Moore
- Provider Referral – something old, something new – Pat Young & Chris Faldon
- HIV pre-test discussion training for midwives – Margaret Rings
- Sperm washing – sexual health meets assisted conception – Debbie Vowles
- Post exposure prophylaxis for sexual exposure to HIV – Mike Jones
- HIV/AIDS & Sexual Health: an African Perspective – Acomo Oloya
- “This House believes that Health Advisers should be proactive in HIV Partner Notification.”
- Full Conference Report (PDF, 498kB)